Depicted in an almost topographical style, St. Philip’s Church is a lithograph by L. S. Lowry made after a drawing from 1926. The scene shows St Philip’s Church in Salford, which is one of the only churches depicted by the artist that survives to this day. Focusing largely on the architecture of the street, this scene features only five figures with their dog in the foreground.
It is interesting that Lowry chooses only to include the end wall of St. Philip’s Church, shown on the right, as an incidental part of this composition. Instead of the church being the central focus, it is placed within the context of the street that surrounds it. Lowry even includes the spire of Salford Cathedral that can be seen behind the terraced row of houses in the middle ground of the composition.
Lowry’s lithographs like St. Philip’s Church are produced by hand whereby a plate is etched and inked, and the paper is then pressed onto the plate to produce an original. Due to this printing process, no two prints are exactly the same. Editions like these are therefore relatively small, in this case 75, and as a result they are rare and highly sought after items.